This is my little place for my creativity.

UPDATE: THE SITE IS MOVING AS OF FEBRUARY 10, 2014 TO:

http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com


It's time to move on to a place that is more DIY for this DIY-er. Please come on over to see what is up, comment, make suggestions, stalk, or just say hello.
The links are all the same--I have trouble clicking on tiny stuff on my phone so I thought that having it over a few lines of text might make it easier for folks like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is more or less a record of my crafty pursuits. I'll use this space to keep track of promising ideas and my own successes or "learning opportunities" for future reference.

Comments are welcome, but will be removed if they don't actually contribute to the content. In other words, comments should have all meat and no time-sucking fillers.

As I complete the projects/ideas on the right, I'll move them to the left so you can see how well it worked out.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Sew-Pencil bags

I'll be in South America again in 4 weeks and 4 days .  While school supplies are on the crazy cheap discounts, I have been buying x4 of each useful item that was under a dollar.  I've got pencils, folders, glue sticks, scissors, crayons, erasers, rulers, spirals, paper, toothbrushes, socks, and super el-cheapo backpacks to hold the stuff together.  I was thinking that I would put the small stuff together into a ziploc but after I saw this, I thought it would be better and certainly longer lasting.  I made 4 different ones.
Pathwork fancy zipper pouch
or
Simple zipper pouch

The first link had a tip of sewing a tab to the end of the zipper.  I quickly remembered (after screwing up, of course) the value of this when I was testing one of the zippers and zipped the key right off the teeth. Sigh.

I made the first one lined and it is cute, but definitely weighs more and right now, everything I pack is about the weight.  No packaging of anything is going and what I can reduce, I will.  The lined one was also a PITA because I forgot to UNZIP the thing when I was closing the final seam.  Yeah.  I'm a rebel and rebels always have troubles. Sigh again.

On the other three, I couldn't see any reason to line the pouches.  They are for kids and like kids everywhere, I am guessing these will take a beating in general so I am not too worried about them lasting longer than a year or two for those kiddos if the items all get used up and/or abused up.  All part of learning, IMHO!

Each backpack contains about 8-9 dollars of actual cost and probably about 20$ value because of my frugality.  There are 4 kids that are the right age to receive these in Carlos' family in the home village so I hope they can enjoy these very much.  There are also 2 little kids that I will see if I can make a toy or two for them also.  I've gotta find out their ages first.


~~~~~~~~~
Update:  I found this tutorial and I think it explains the stitching better and the pattern is darling.
 "Pencil" bag
~~~~~~~~~
Another Update:
Here's a couple of pictures of a young shepherd with his backpack of goodies.  All the other kids in town were at a soccer match that was exciting enough that the church was even closed for the day.  The town was EMPTY as we wandered around and ran into this young gentleman working. 

No comments:

Post a Comment