This is my little place for my creativity.

UPDATE: THE SITE IS MOVING AS OF FEBRUARY 10, 2014 TO:

http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com


It's time to move on to a place that is more DIY for this DIY-er. Please come on over to see what is up, comment, make suggestions, stalk, or just say hello.
The links are all the same--I have trouble clicking on tiny stuff on my phone so I thought that having it over a few lines of text might make it easier for folks like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is more or less a record of my crafty pursuits. I'll use this space to keep track of promising ideas and my own successes or "learning opportunities" for future reference.

Comments are welcome, but will be removed if they don't actually contribute to the content. In other words, comments should have all meat and no time-sucking fillers.

As I complete the projects/ideas on the right, I'll move them to the left so you can see how well it worked out.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's been a busy morning.


Today, I made:
Oatmeal pies (really just oatmeal cookies with leftover icing)
Mexicanish sandwiches
Apple-pecan pancakes

I have some dear friends who are battling an anti-health monster right now and have offered to bring them dinner each Thursday evening.  We can visit/chat for a bit and they can get something nutritious that is out off their typical home-cooking menu but still qualified as home-cooking. Tonight they are getting my new specialty - Mexicanish sandwiches, some pancakes for breakfast, and some cookie sandwiches that are designed only to help him put some weight back on. (There is fiber, iron, calcium, protein, and other nutrients in them, but really, they are little fat-creators!)

Here's the Mexicanish Sandwiches tutorial.  These are really delicious.  I don't know if these exist outside my home anywhere, but it is simple and delicious and sort of like a pupusa.

Mexicanish Sandwiches

1 cup of masa (corn flour for tamales/tortillas)
1 cup water
2 or 3 tablespoons of oil 
1 teaspoon chili powder (more or less as you like it)
1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less as you like it)
clove of crushed garlic (if you want--not necessary though.  Add in whatever else you like, too--cumin/comino, lime, magical-mystery-ingredient-du-jour)
Stir these together.
Put it off to the side  to "rest" while you chop:
1 jalapeno
1 tiny onion (I bought some that are about the size of big jalapenos)
Mix these into the masa.   You'll prolly need to use your hands for this. Again, you have the option of adding in whatever you want or have leftover in the fridge.
Smashed beans (I made pintos last night--did the boil-cool-rinse routine 3 times to de-gas them and then simmered them overnight.  After they had cooled enough, I drained the liquid off--be sure to save some--and used the mixer to "drill" them up.  Add the liquid back in as needed. This dish is easier if they are not very runny.)
Cheese (I used American slices because that is what I had.)

Heat up a skillet to scorching hot. If sprinkled water dances on it, you're probably ready. Wet your hands (the water on your hands reduces the amount of stickiness of the masa mixture). Grab a golfball sized amount and flatten it out with your hands.  It should be pretty flat but not so flat that you can't get it off without tearing it.  This may take some experimentation. (The disasters are still pretty delicious.)

With my electric stove set to 8, it takes one minute for this to be ready to flip.  I use my stove timer and just flip it over.  The underside (that is now looking up at you) should appear dry with a few scorch marks on it to indicate that it is actually cooked.  You can cook these to the amount of your liking.
When both sides are equally cooked, put that one a plate and plop in your next one.  I took a half slice of cheese, spread some smashed beans over it, and then topped it with another one.  These are pretty and pretty delicious.

I might experiment with topping them with enchilada sauce and salad next time.
As it is, I now have several of these wrapped in foil and then put in a gallon bag in the freezer for my lunches at work.  I might even pack up a few to take with me to Peru to prove to my family there that I really can cook (when I am not in their kitchen where they don't have the same tools and I can't read the labels on any of the ingredients).
:)
If you want to vary the amounts or make only enough for one, then use equal parts masa and water.  Everything else is just a throw-in.
If you are wondering about how I came up with this, it is really just a Prayer-Meal.  This is when you stand in the middle of your kitchen and pray, "Please, Lord, help me create something that is delicious and nutritious at the same time."  When you are low on supplies, it's always a prayer-meal to the rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment