This is my little place for my creativity.

UPDATE: THE SITE IS MOVING AS OF FEBRUARY 10, 2014 TO:

http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com


It's time to move on to a place that is more DIY for this DIY-er. Please come on over to see what is up, comment, make suggestions, stalk, or just say hello.
The links are all the same--I have trouble clicking on tiny stuff on my phone so I thought that having it over a few lines of text might make it easier for folks like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is more or less a record of my crafty pursuits. I'll use this space to keep track of promising ideas and my own successes or "learning opportunities" for future reference.

Comments are welcome, but will be removed if they don't actually contribute to the content. In other words, comments should have all meat and no time-sucking fillers.

As I complete the projects/ideas on the right, I'll move them to the left so you can see how well it worked out.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cake #1-Baker's Recipe

I am planning to try to experiment with cake options until I find the one(s) that I want for that upcoming event in the spring.  Here is my first attempt. 

First, this is the site that I discovered the recipe at:
My Baker’s Crush: BAKED (and The Whiteout Cake)

This cake was the most labor-intensive cake I have ever made thus far.  The batter was promising and really seemed to be hinting at a total winner. 

Then I removed it from the oven.  First off, my home smelled like cake, but not heavenly as often occurs.  It looked okay, but not mouth-watering.  The texture was "okay" and the flavor was good, but certainly not better than the throw-it-all-in-and-stir type of cakes. 

Overall, I'd recommend this cake to no one.  On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being incredible and 1 being dogfood, I'd rate this a 3. Almost a 2 because of the work involved.

The icing was interesting.  It is a boiled icing and honestly, it was disappointing to say the least.  I grated some lime zest into it for some kick and that gave just an essence of oomph.  Much better, IMHO.  I'd only use this in the future as a filling for something like a Twinkie.  Seriously, that is exactly what this icing was like.  If I ever make those icing doughnuts for anybody, this is what I'll fill them with.

I debated about washing the rest of the icing down the drain, but figured that I have plenty of Zip-locs and freezer space so why not keep it. 

Getting ready.  I don't have cake pans yet so I made do with these goofy flowery ones that I re-discovered in my kitchen.  The towel strips are to help keep the tops even.  I'll have to try one with and one without to experiment on the difference.

I don't have enough space to do 3 layers so I cup-caked some extras in little heart shaped foils that I got on sale for almost nothing.  This was after 25 minutes.

Cooling down.

Ready for icing.  The icing took a long time and is the mirror of Twinkie filling.

A cake decorator I am NOT so..I made do by sprinkling on some little yellow "crowns" that I got on sale last night.  The sprinkles came in a set of 4 kinds--yellow crown, blue high heels, red apples, and pearls.  I really wanted the pearls to top the wedding cake.  Looking at my lack of talent here, if I don't improve by spring, we will NEED those pearls to distract from my mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment