This is my little place for my creativity.

UPDATE: THE SITE IS MOVING AS OF FEBRUARY 10, 2014 TO:

http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com


It's time to move on to a place that is more DIY for this DIY-er. Please come on over to see what is up, comment, make suggestions, stalk, or just say hello.
The links are all the same--I have trouble clicking on tiny stuff on my phone so I thought that having it over a few lines of text might make it easier for folks like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is more or less a record of my crafty pursuits. I'll use this space to keep track of promising ideas and my own successes or "learning opportunities" for future reference.

Comments are welcome, but will be removed if they don't actually contribute to the content. In other words, comments should have all meat and no time-sucking fillers.

As I complete the projects/ideas on the right, I'll move them to the left so you can see how well it worked out.

Friday, August 12, 2011

My own homemade kettlebell

Last night I made my first kettlebell.  We will see how well it turns out, but I am very hopeful.  It is still curing outside on my toolbox and will have the entire weekend to rest before I start playing with it on Monday.

Here are 3 links that you may find helpful:
10$ Kettlebell
Homemade Kettlebell
Kettlebells from pipes that you can use with your own weights

There at lots of different sources for information, but this guy really seems to be the best guru of info and avoids stupidity in his instructions.  In other words, it would be hard to actually hurt yourself by following his advice.

Here's mine:

Cost:  60 lb bag of Quickrete=around 3$
          1 precut length of PVC-1$ (Back corner of the store--apparently this is popular enough to have lots of choices)
          1 green ball-4$ 
          Various screws from bottom of my tool box
_______________
            About 8$ including taxes here in southwest Houston
I mixed up about 8 cups of Quickrete and then mixed up some more.  All total, I used under 1/2 the bag.  This filled it up some way, but not to the top.  I might make another one next week that is completely full (and heavier).

Here it is in my freezer.  Yeah, there isn't much to eat to eat in there right now.  I flipped a cookie sheet over and baked it at 300 for 10 minutes.  It was very bendable but not very floppy.  I had not pre-filled it with sand as others had because, frankly, I could see no purpose in it.  I just shaped it with my oven mitts and ran the bends under tap water to make them hard enough to not hold it in the freezer.  I left it there all of maybe 3 minutes while I mixed concrete.

I am a bit on the paranoid side so I elected to put some screws in the bottom to give it some more sticking-power.  I drilled these in at an angle from inside the tube.  The outside is slippery and I had no idea how else to drill it so I just stuck my drill bit down the tube and ta-da.  I then screwed/shoved the screws in.  They are not particularly secure but I don't believe it makes a difference when encased in concrete.

~~~~~~~
Edit-August 29th, 2011
I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and I can feel a distinct difference in my strength, flexibility, and yes, believe it or not, in my winded-ness when climbing stairs.  This is sheer GENIUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment