This is my little place for my creativity.

UPDATE: THE SITE IS MOVING AS OF FEBRUARY 10, 2014 TO:

http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com
http://www.emilylikestomakestuff.com


It's time to move on to a place that is more DIY for this DIY-er. Please come on over to see what is up, comment, make suggestions, stalk, or just say hello.
The links are all the same--I have trouble clicking on tiny stuff on my phone so I thought that having it over a few lines of text might make it easier for folks like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is more or less a record of my crafty pursuits. I'll use this space to keep track of promising ideas and my own successes or "learning opportunities" for future reference.

Comments are welcome, but will be removed if they don't actually contribute to the content. In other words, comments should have all meat and no time-sucking fillers.

As I complete the projects/ideas on the right, I'll move them to the left so you can see how well it worked out.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Baby Burp Towels

I made em.  I think they'll be handy.

I can't remember where I saw these online, but the idea is so simple.  Plain quilting cotton in whatever pattern, back it with a cut of towel.  I used a quilting template that was square and trimmed the corners before turning.  I'd recommend that the edge with the opening have at least a 1/2 inch border to make closing it easier.   (Edited on February 7th, 2013)  WHY DIDN'T I AT LEAST READ OVER THIS TUTORIAL BEFORE MAKING SOME OF THESE FOR MY OWN BABY?  DUH!!!!!  I MADE 10 OF THESE THIS EVENING AND IGNORED MY OWN ONCE-LEARNED-BUT-QUICKLY-FORGOTTEN-LESSON.  SIGH.


If you need step by step directions, here ya go:
1.) Cut up old towel into desired sizes.  If it is a thick towel, stains may be visible only on a single side.  Note:  Cutting was nearly impossible with the super-thick towel I used for scissors.  I used my rotary blade.  A not-too-thin magazine is a nice template, too. (Example: Reader's Digest)
2.)  Cut up some cotton scraps.  You can also piece or applique or whatever.  Old shirts would be good, too.  Jeans.  Whatever looks pretty/cool/groovy to you.
3.)  Sew.  Backstitch at the beginning and ending parts.  I experimented with making nice sharp turns and curving.  I doubt that it matters, but I thought the sharp turns were better looking. 
4.)  Trim corners. 
5.)  Turn/Birth/Flip inside-out. 
6.)  Hold the opening closed and start stitching there to finish the edges. 

I used half the towel and got 6 out of it.  I will used the other portions to make something else.  If your sewing machine can't handle the bulk, use a thin towel or maybe flannel.

I used no pins.  I thought about it, but eh...why bother...it is a single shape.  I have seen these online with decorative rickrack, in circles, etc. 
Click here for a site with a few choices of ideas

Click here for another site with lots of ideas



No comments:

Post a Comment